Tuesday, October 16, 2012

On painting.

Folks tend to self-medicate against problems, whether real or imagined. Some medicate with alcohol, some medicate with harder drugs, and I self-medicate with painting. This is why I tend to paint things that make me happy, rather than the traditional still lives/people/landscapes (SPLs). I paint critters. Big critters and small critters, some real, some imagined. The critters in my paintings interact with one another, and, for all purposes, lead their own little lives that span the width of the canvas or board. I also paint a lot of vegetative themes, for they are very meditative.

That is not to say that I do not appreciate SPLs when I see them in person, or that I do not respect folks who can execute them well. It is also not to say that I cannot paint them (I can, and have). It's just that the majority of SPLs do not bring a smile to my face. Critters do.

12x12 inches, acrylic on board in progress, part 1 out of 6.

"There once lived a Little Wren, and he was all alone..."

No comments:

Post a Comment